From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
James Long, deceased, one of the pioneers of Steuben County, Ind., was born in Western New York in 1799. When a young man he removed with his parents to Richland County, Ohio, where he married a Miss Guthrie, who died in 1824, leaving five children -- Benajah B., Robert E., John J., Jane, wife of Rufus Jackson, and Martha, who married G. T. Abbey. Benajah is the only one living. Mr. Long subsequently married Sarah Reynolds, a native of Maryland, daughter of William Reynolds, who settled in Richland County in an early day. To them were born five children -- Caroline S., wife of T. M. Allbee; David O., of Montcalm County, Mich.; Albert W., Hugh D. and James H. In 1836 Mr. Long, in company with several neighbors, moved to Steuben County, Ind., and bought a claim on section 10, Steuben Township. In 1854 he exchanged this farm with Dr. Clark for land on section 2 and 11, where he died in the fall of 1856. He was a strong anti-slavery man, a Whig in politics, and subsequently one of the first to espouse the principles of the Republican party. He was one of the first Methodists in the county, and for many years was a class leader and exhorter. In an early day he built a large building in which religious services were held for many years. He was an earnest supporter of education and all projects of public interest. Mrs. Long is living in Oakland, Cal., with her two sons, Hugh D. and James H.
Submitted by Kim Davoli