Elias Mallory was born in Rutland County, Vt., Jan. 30, 1822, a son
of David and Cynthia (Collars) Mallory. He came West in 1837, and
on attaining his majority entered eighty acres of school land. His
father was in limited circumstances and he was early obliged to depend
on himself for a livelihood. His education was very meager.
When he began to clear his land he was obliged to borrow his father's ax
to split the rails to fence it. As a result of his untiring labor
and energy and his strict honor and integrity he has succeeded in placing
himself beyond the pale of want and surrounding himself with all the necessary
comforts. He now owns 250 acres of valuable land where he lives,
well stocked and with first-class improvements , and 160 in Pawnee County,
Neb. He has been an influential man in his township, but being retiring
in his nature has refused repeated solicitations to fill official
offices, the only office he ever held being Treasurer of the township.
To him is due the credit of Jamestown's cemetery, which is the most beautiful
resting place for the dead in the county. He, at his own expense,
superintends the care of the grounds. Elias Mallory was married in
1844 to Rosilla A. Havens, daughter of George and Huldah H. Havens.
They have one son - George E., who, Nov. 3, 1878, married Miss Louie Wiage,
a daughter of one of Branch County's most enterprising citizens.