From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
William H. Miller, M. D., was born in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 20, 1851, a son of Simeon and Louisa (Frink) Miller. His father was a native of Yorkshire, England, and when fourteen years of age came to America, and lived in Monroe County, N. Y., till after his marriage, when he moved to Toronto. In 1856 he returned to Monroe County, and in 1866 moved to Jackson County, Mich., where he still resides. The family consists of six children -- four sons and two daughters. When our subject was seventeen years of age he left home, and from that time maintained and educated himself. Being ambitious to obtain a thorough education and ultimately enter a professional life, he went to Jackson, Mich, where he attended the graded schools three years, working when not in school to defray his expenses. He then attended the literary department of Ann Arbor University, and while there decided to take up the profession of medicine. After leaving the University he returned to Jackson and entered the office of Drs. Anderson & Towne, remaining with them, when not attending lectures, till March, 1884. In the winter of 1880-'81 he attended the Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, and also in 1881-'82, graduating in the spring of 1882. He continued his practice under the guidance of his former tutors till 1884, when he removed to Fremont, where he is gaining the confidence of the people and is building up a good practice. He is a young man of good address, unquestionable habits, courteous and genial manners, and his close attention to his profession and alertness to comprehend any new departure combine to make him a successful practitioner. Dr. Miller was married in Napoleon, Jackson Co., Mich., to Ida C. Russell, daughter of Levi and Harriet (Kilmer) Russell. They have two children -- Arthur R. and Franklin.
Submitted by Kim Davoli