From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
A. G. Parsell, M. D., was born in Essex County, N. J., Jan. 21, 1826, a son of Moses S. and Hannah B. (Crilley) Parsell, natives of New Jersey. Moses S. Parsell was born in 1797, and was reared in his native county, where he learned the trade of a shoemaker. He married Mary Campbell, who died a few years later, leaving two children -- John, who died in boyhood, and Mary C., who lives on Long Island, N. Y. Mr. Parsell afterward married Hannah B. Crilley, and to them were born five children, three of whom are living -- A. G., Sarah W. and Elizabeth S., wife of Avery Emerson. Abijah died in 1882, aged fifty-five years. Thomas B. died at the age of forty-one years. In 1838 the family came to Indiana with the intention of locating in Lagrange County, but changed their location to Steuben County, and bought a tract of unimproved land of Judge Emerson on section 35, Jackson Township. He built a frame house and began the improvement of his land. After paying for his land and buying a cow he had no money. He died in November, 1839, leaving a wife and six children, the eldest but fifteen years old. The mother kept the children together till they were old enough to take care of themselves, the boys taking charge of the farm. She died in 1846. A. G. Parsell remained on the homestead till manhood. In the fall and winter of 1845-'46 he had a severe sickness and another in the spring of 1847, which so weakened his constitution that he was unable to perform the duties of a farmer's life, and he turned his attention to the study of medicine. He entered the office of Dr. William Bevier, of Salem Center, and remained with him two years. He then attended a course of lectures at the Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, and afterward studied with Dr. Bevier another year. He began the practice of his profession in 1852, locating at Salem Center. Two years later he moved to Fairfield Center, DeKalb County, and in 1858 returned to Salem Township, and located on a farm, although he continued his practice. In 1881 he sold his farm and moved to Hudson, and engaged in the mercantile business with his son George. He was married in 1846 to Emily Emerson, daughter of Judge Avery Emerson. They have had ten children, seven of whom are living -- Albert A., in Texas; George A.; Ida A., wife of R. R. Redfield, of Humboldt, Kas.; James R., in Colorado; Henrietta S., wife of Elmer Ransburg, of Edgerton, Ohio; Nellie and Thomas A. Three daughters died in infancy. Dr. Parsell is well known for his sterling integrity and his strong advocacy of all principles he believes to be right. He is in all respects a worthy representative of the pioneer element of Steuben County. In politics he is a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
Submitted by Kim Davoli