Philip Ritter Source: History of Steuben County, IN (1885) p.790 Philip Ritter resides on section 6, Steuben Township, where he settled in July, 1852. He purchased his first land, 128 acres, of Lewis Carter. No improvements had been made, the land being heavily timbered. His first house was of hewn logs, and was built in the spring of 1852. In 1868 he built his present residence. He has now 194 acres of land, about 125 acres of which are improved and very productive. Mr. Ritter is a brother of Henry Ritter, of this township, and was born in the same township in New York, in 1820. He was apprenticed in his youth to the trade of a carpenter, and has worked at his trade and also as an undertaker nearly fifty years. Since coming to Indiana he has carried on his farm in connection with his other business. Mr. Ritter has been twice married. His first wife was Lucy Ann Kope, daughter of Henry Kope, an early settler of Wayne County, Ohio. Mrs. Ritter died in March, 1854, leaving three children -- Henry, Mary and Jacob. Mr. Ritter then married Mrs. Martha (Gillander) Anderson, a native of the north of Ireland. To them have been born eight children, six of whom are living -- Martha, Barbara, Theophilus, Levina, Elener and Orpha. Mr. and Mrs. Ritter are members of the United Brethren church. Mr. Ritter has accumulated his property by industry and economy, and by his integrity has gained the confidence of the entire community.