From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Cyrus Robertson resides on section 13, Steuben Township. This farm was formerly the homestead of John Carter. It contains 326 acres, and is a fine grain and stock farm. The buildings are among the best in the township. It was purchased of Mr. Carter by John C. Robertson in August, 1870, and of him about a year later by his son, Charles G. Robertson. Cyrus Robertson, a brother of Charles, has charge of the farm, the latter being a resident of Hillsdale, Mich., where he has been teaching twenty-five years. The Robertson family were originally from New Jersey, and later settled in New York. John C. Robertson moved to Lenawee County, Mich., in 1825, and located land to which he moved his family in the early history of that county. In 1849 he moved to Lagrange County, Ind., and thence in 1854 to Hillsdale County, Mich., where he died in June, 1884. Cyrus Robertson was born in Lenawee County, Mich., in 1841. He went with his father to Lagrange County in 1849, and from there to Hillsdale County, Mich. In 1863 he enlisted in the Eleventh Michigan Cavalry and served a year, when he was commissioned First Lieutenant in the Fifth United States Colored Cavalry Regiment, a position he retained till March, 1866, when he was discharged, after a service of two and a half years. After the war he returned to Michigan, where he lived till 1870, when he came to Steuben County. He married Helen Mason, daughter of Charles Mason, who settled in Michigan from Otsego County, N. Y., in 1856. To them were born two children -- Charles and Agnes. Mrs. Robertson died in May, 1883.
Submitted by Kim Davoli