From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Chester D. Salisbury was born in Adams, Jefferson Co., N. Y., in 1817, a son of Edgar and Susannah (Gore) Salisbury, natives of Vermont. His grandfather, Hezekiah Salisbury, was a large landowner in Vermont, owning at one time the present site of the city of Brattlesboro. Edgar Salisbury was a minute-man in the war of 1812. He was one of the pioneers of the town of Adams and lived there till his death. His family consisted of four sons and four daughters -- Elijah G., married Abigail Terry; he died in Oakland, Cal., in 1877; Susan E. married Daniel E. Rood, and lives in Pulaski, Oswego Co., N. Y.; Chester D. is the subject of our sketch; Harriet G., is the widow of J. G. Kibling, and lives in Bellville, Jefferson Co., N. Y. The other children died in childhood. The father died when Chester D. was eight years of age, and the mother and older children were each obliged to contribute toward the support of the family. When eleven years of age he was sent into the cedar swamps to assist in making rails. School was a dream that was not realized till he attained manhood, when he attended a select school a few terms. He was apprenticed to learn the tanner and currier's trade and served till 1836, when he left his master and came to Indiana. He is purely a self-made man. Starting for himself before reaching his majority he stole away from his employer and working nights obtained enough money to defray his expenses to the West. He arrived in Coldwater, Mich., just as they were firing their sunrise salute on the Fourth of July. He proceeded to Steuben County and located on what is now known as Section 23, Jamestown Township, where he burned lime two years. He then moved to Worlton, now known as Nevada, and opened up and improved a farm living there four years, when he moved to Mill Grove Township and settled on his present farm. When he arrived in Steuben County he had 12 1/2 cents. To this small beginning he has added till he now owns 208 acres of the finest land in the county, with improvements second to none. His home is a model of all that makes comfort and happiness in this life, and is presided over by a host and hostess whose greatest enjoyment is found when ministering to others' pleasure and comfort. Mr. Salisbury was married in 1838 to Julia Collins, daughter of Barton and Anna Rita Collins, the first settlers in Jamestown Township. To them have been born six children -- Susan E., Sarah A., Emily A. (deceased), Merritt B., Frank G. and Dewitt C. Susan is the wife of W. W. Turner, of Steuben County. Sarah A. married Charles Ellis, a member of Company B., One Hundredth Indiana Infantry, who was captured and killed by guerrillas while with Sherman on his march to the sea. She is now the wife of J. P. Whitney. Frank G. married Barbara E. Pocock. Dewitt C. married Ella, daughter of William Reed.
Submitted by Kim Davoli