From the 1885 History of Steuben County, IN page 757:

Franklin Shaffstall, a son of Christian and Christina Shaffstall, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, December 23, 1842, and came with his parents to Steuben County, Indiana, in 1846.  He was reared and educated in this county, remaining at home until the breaking out of the Rebellion.  He enlisted in October, 1862, in the 21st Indiana Infantry, which was afterward converted into the 1st Indiana Heavy Artillary, and served three years.  He participated in all the engagements of the regiment, never being absent on account of sickness or wounds.  He took part in the siege of Port Huron, and Banks Red River Expedition.  He was discharged at Baton Rouge, October 24, 1865.  After his return from the war he turned his attention to agriculture.  He was married February 28, 1868, to Annie Day, a native of Fremont, Indiana, born March 16, 1849, a daughter of W.H.H. and Louisa Day.  They have three children -- Lura, Libbie, and Nellie.  In December, 1870, Mr. Shaffstall bought his farm on the southeast quarter of Section 16, of L.N. Bodley.  The land was originally school land and was bought of the state by James Groesbeck, who cleared 10 acres and built a log cabin in which he lived till his death.  The farm contains 68 acres, 60 acres of which are improved.  The improvements with the exception of those made by Mr. Groesbeck have all been made by Mr. Shaffstall.  The log cabin has been converted into a stable and he has erected a substantial frame residence.  Mrs. Shaffstall's parents settled in Fremont in 1847.  Her father having been elected county treasurer, in December, 1857, they moved to Angola, where her mother died July 26, 1876.  In November, 1879, her father moved to Missouri, where he still lives.  They had a family of five children -- Adelbert F., Forman of the Republican Office, Angola; Augusta A., wife of James Cappes, of Moberly, Missouri; Annie L.; Alfred H., of California, and Clara, wife of J.P. Sommers, of Colorado.  Mr. Day enlisted as private in 1862 in the 13th Indiana Infantry, and was subsequently promoted to Second Lieutenant.  He served two and a half years, when he resigned on account of ill health.