From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Lyman R. Williams, Treasurer of Steuben County, Ind., is a native of Onondaga County, N. Y., born Aug. 1, 1834, a son of Heman B. and Laura A. (Ketchum) Williams. In 1844 his parents moved to Steuben County, Ind., and a short time later to Branch County, Mich. They had a family of five children. Two sons were in the war of the Rebellion -- Harvey M. and Henry C. The former died at Coldwater, Mich., from the effects of disease contracted in the service. When eleven years of age Lyman R. Williams was bound to John Campbell, remaining with him till twenty-one years of age. He never attended school till sixteen years of age, and is principally a self-educated man. After he was twenty-one years of age he went to Hillsdale, Mich., and worked for his board and tuition and in that way prepared to enter college. In 1857 he entered the sophomore class of Hillsdale College, and remained till about to enter the junior class. He then went to Ann Arbor and entered the law department from which he graduated in March, 1861. When he left school he was in debt for his education and soon after began teaching in the Bronson graded school. In the spring of 1862 he took charge of the school at Fremont, Ind. While teaching in Fremont he was appointed County Examiner of teachers. In 1868 he took charge of the Northwestern Institute at Orland and remained there two years when his health failed and he returned to Hillsdale. In 1871 he came to Angola and had charge of the school ten years. In the fall of 1880 he was elected County Treasurer, entering on the discharge of his duties in 1881, and in 1882 was re-elected. Mr. Williams has always taken an interest in education and has done all in his power to raise the standard of teachers. He held the first teachers' institute in Steuben County in 1864, assisted by Prof. R. Patch, of Ontario Institute. He has filled various local positions in the town and county and has always discharged his duties in a satisfactory manner, and has won the respect of his opponents by his exemplary and efficient service. He is a memeber of the Odd Fellows' order and has passed all the chairs of both lodge and encampment. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor. Mr. Williams was married in 1863 in Noble, Branch Co., Mich., to Alma, daughter of John McClurg. To them have been born three children; but two are living -- Ethel and Nellie.
Submitted by Kim Davoli