From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Jacob Wolf, one of the pioneers, and a prominent and influential citizen of Steuben County, Ind., was born in Washington County, Pa., Nov. 19, 1815, a son of Samuel and Sarah (Wood) Wolf, natives of New Jersey, where they were married and lived till 1807 when he moved to Washington County, Pa., where the mother died in 1827. In 1828 the father removed to Tuscarawas County, Ohio, where he died in 1837. They had a family of six children, two born in New Jersey and four in Pennsylvania -- Ruth, now of White County, Ind., the widow of William Wolf; Peter, who settled in Steuben County, Ind., in 1836, and died in Branch County, Mich., in 1882; Abbie (deceased) was the wife of Ellis Hughes; Mary died in infancy; Jacob; Sarah (deceased) was the wife of Hugh Hughes. Jacob Wolf removed with his father to Ohio in 1828, and in the spring of 1837 came to Steuben County, and located in Angola, at that time a hamlet of a few log cabins. When he left Ohio he had 44 cents in money. He was by trade a blacksmith, and finding no employment in Angola, went to Union Mills, south of English Prairie, and worked at his trade a short time. Becoming discouraged he came to Fremont and ordered a suit of clothes made, intending to return to Ohio, but finally concluded to remain, and worked in different places til 1842, when he bought the farm where he now resides. He has been a hard working man, and his beautiful home is the result of his many years of unabated toil. He is now one of the well-to-do farmers of the county, he and his sons owning 450 acres of land, all gained by his untiring industry. Mr. Wolf was married June 6, 1841, to Delilah Masters, daughter of Uriah Masters, a pioneer of Steuben County. They have had eight children, five of whom are living -- Phoebe, wife of J. C. Bisby; Ann, wife of J. C. Tobias; William, John and Sarah. Mr. Wolf is in politics a stanch Democrat. During the war of the Rebellion he was a loyal Union man, and gave of his means liberally for the support of the widows and orphans of the soldiers. He is a public-spirited, whole-souled man, supporting all projects of public benefit, and giving liberally to all benevolent objects. He and his wife joined the Methodist Episcopal church in their youth, and ever remained true to its principles. Mrs. Wolf died Jan. 14, 1877, loved and lamented by all who knew her. Mr. Wolf is still an active business man. For the past eighteen years he has dealt extensively in stock, which has given him an extended acquaintance throughout the county.
Submitted by Kim Davoli