From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Theodore F. Wood, M. D. -- Few professional men have the good fortune to win the honest regard and confidence that Dr. Wood has gained among the people for miles surrounding the town of Metz. His Grandfather Wood was a native of Canada, of English parents, who moved to New York State, where he married and raised his family. The Doctor's father, Joseph Wheeler Wood, was born in New York in 1801, where he grew up and was married, his wife dying shortly after the birth of a daughter named Martha. He was again married to Miss Sarah Farnham, who was born in Connecticut, August, 1804, of Welsh origin, who bore him eight children, as follows: Warren Alphonso, Elizabeth, Sarah, Phedima, Hugh D., Melvina, Theodore F. and Frederick B. Wood. The Doctor was born in Bainbridge, Chenango Co., N. Y., June, 1840, and in 1843 his parents removed to Williams County, Ohio, and in 1846 to DeKalb County, Ind., where his father died in February, 1851, his mother dying in the same county in 1859. After his father's death he went to live with his brother-in-law, D. S. S. Stough, who was a practicing physician of DeKalb County, with whom he remained about seven years, during which time he attended the district school in the winter terms, "doing chores" before and after school for his board and tuition. He then "hired out" as a farm hand for one year, and with the money thus obtained he started to Hillsdale College, where he remained off and on four years putting in his vacations at farming and teaching, devoting the proceeds in paying his way through college, which completed his literary and scientific education. In the meantime he put in every spare moment in the study of medicine, having resolved to become a physician while a boy around the office of Dr. Stough. After leaving college he devoted his entire time to the study of his chosen profession, under his brother, W. Alphonso Wood, of Metz, with the exception of teaching a few terms of school in winter. In the winter of 1863-'64 he attended a course of lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., after which he began practicing at Metz in connection with W. Alphonso, which partnership continued until 1865, when his brother having moved to Angola, he remained at Metz and began to practice for himself. In 1868-'69 he attended a course of lectures at Charity Hospital Medical College, Cleveland, Ohio, where he graduated the latter year, receiving his degree of M. D. In 1870 he spent a short time at Rush Medical College, Chicago, and in 1872-'73 he attended a course of lectures in the different medical schools of New York and Philadelphia. He was married in Angola, April, 1863, to Elizabeth Powers, daughter of Calvin and Emeline Powers. Mrs. Wood was born in Steuben County, Ind., January, 1842. They have had three children -- Lillie (deceased), Edna and Alphonso Calvin Wood. Dr. Wood is a member of the Steuben County Medical Society, of which he has been President and Secretary several terms; of the Northeast Indiana Medical Society, of which he has been President, Vice-President and Treasurer; of the Williams County (Ohio) Medical Society; the Indiana State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. He has been one of the Board of Censors in the Fort Wayne Medical College. He belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities. As a physician Dr. Wood stands deservedly high and his practice is among the largest and most lucrative in the county. Located in a country town he has a general practice in all branches of medicine and surgery. In surgery he has an extensive practice; in the reduction of fractures and dislocations he has been eminently successful; has performed some important surgical operations, [n]otably trephining of the skull. The Doctor has been particularly interested in obstetrical practice in which he has a large experience.
Submitted by Kim Davoli