BIOGRAPHY INDEX HOME PAGE MENU / SEARCH

Julius Dufour


Julius Dufour, was born at Vevay, Ind., June 25, 1816. His father was John Francis Dufour, who was so prominently identified with the early history of Switzerland County. The education that he received was within the old log schoolhouse presided over by the then eccentric schoolmasters of the early times. When about ten years old young Dufour had some difficulty with a schoolmate of about the same age. Their teacher said it must be settled upon the field of honor according to the code of duels. The seconds, pistols and ground being chosen, the whole school assembled to witness the courageous feats of the plucky boys, but fortunately the difficulty was amicable settled, before the crisis came, without the shedding of blood. At the age of sixteen, Mr. Dufour was placed by his father with a prominent business firm in Cincinnati to learn the mercantile business, and for some five years held positions of responsiblity and trust with several well known business houses of that time in the Queen City. Returning to Vevay in 1837, he engaged in merchandising in the brick building now occupied by Charles O. Thiebaud as a residence on Liberty Street, where he remained in business about two years. He was married, July 9, 1839, to Ann Elizabeth Malin, daughter of Judge Malin, with whom he lived a happy but brief period of seventeen years, she dying June 8, 1856. In 1840 Mr. Dufour purchased what is now known as the Froman farm, near Ghent, Ky. Selling the farm he returned to Vevay in 1845 to enter mercantile pursuits again, the firm name being J. Dufour & Co., having at different times as partners J. Dalmazzo, Philip Golay, John S. Roberts and John W. Malin, and occupying the building now owned and occupied by O. S. Waldo. Mr. Dufour, in 1848, engaged in the dry goods business with John W. Malin, in New Albany, Ind., and two years after Mr. Malin retiring, Mr. Dufour continued the business till 1852, and engaging in steamboating and trading upon the river till the rebellion of 1861. Remaining at Vevay and not engaging in business during the war, at its conclusion he resumed trading South till 1869, when he accepted the position of government store-keeper, and was placed on duty at the distillery of W.T. Pate & Co., at Patriot, remaining there and at Mount Vernon about two years. Mr. Dufour has two daughters: Mrs. Mamie Rous, now living at Lake Providence, La., and Mrs. Sylvia Del Veccio, of Washington, D.C.; and one son, Joseph M. Dufour, of Washington, D.C., who holds the creditable and responsible position of principal clerk to supervising architect of the treasury. Mr. Dufour has never held any public elective office, never having aspirations in that direction. He has been an active and prominent member of the I.O.O.F. since 1839; also of the encampment and Grand Lodge, having at all times taken an active part in the deliberations of the order. He now makes Vevay his home, enjoying the confidence and esteem of a large circle of friends, and although nearly seventy years of age he seems yet in the prime of life, and bids fair to live to see another century drawn upon civilization, changing the wilds of his native home into the garden spot of our beloved country.