BIOGRAPHY INDEX HOME PAGE MENU / SEARCH

Jacob R. Harris,

for many years one of the most prominent farmers of Posey Township, was born in Kortright, Delaware Co., N.Y., May 20, 1802. His parents were formerly from Connecticut, where they were born. In 1811 they moved to Franklin County, N.Y., after which he had no advantage of even a common school. In 1817 he, with his parents, immigrated to this county, settling near Quercus Grove, where his parents died some years afterward. In 1823 he returned to New York to attend to some business for his father, making the entire journey on foot, traveling thirty-three miles per day, and carrying with him his carpet-sack. In 1824 he entered eighty acres of heavily timbered land, near Quercus Grove, which he commenced to clear, erecting on it a log house, and on the day after it was completed, January 5, 1826, he married Gertrude H. Scott, who is yet living. About this time he commenced trading in real estate and various articles, always meeting with success. In 1856 he purchased his Egypt Bottom farm, and moved upon it. Here he resided until 1872, when he retired from business, having accumulated a considerable fortune. He served as justice of the peace fourteen years, and the county as commissioner for twelve consecutive years, and as a business man, public or private, he was far above the average in foresight and judgment. During his tenure of office he succeeded greatly in reducing the annual expenses of the county, and retired leaving money in the treasury, though on entering upon his offical duties he found the county in debt. During the late war Mr. Harris' faith in the Union cause and the Government was never shaken. He was not only one of the first purchasers of the Government bonds, but loaned quite a sum of money to the county at reduced rates of interest for the payment of special bounties, that the county's quota might be complete. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are the parents of eight children, all of whom were permitted to minister to his last necessities. In his home life Mr. Harris was ever the kind and indulgent parent, and into this sacred retirement he permitted nothing to enter to mar its peace. He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church when about seventeen years of age, and continued an active, zealous member of the same till his failing health prevented him from participating in its services, though he remained unshaken to the last in his faith in Christ and a happy eternity. For many years he was a licensed exhorter and a class leader in the church, whose offices he never failed to fill with credit to himself and profit to the cause. In May, 1882, Mr. Harris was prostrated by paralysis which, by a recurrence, terminated his life June 2, 1885. During the long period of almost living death he murmured not, but, patient in the hope of a sweeter rest immortal, thankful that his children and his faithful wife were spared to witness in tender, loving sympathy his final dissolution, he calmly passed into the great and mysterious beyond.