John W. Howard,

the leading argriculturist of York Township, perhaps of the county, is a native of Kentucky, born in Bourbon or Bracken County, in the troublesome days of 1812. His father, Thomas Howard, was born on Carrol's Manor, Md., and of the same beautiful region of our commonwealth, his mother, Nancy Hughes were married, and in an early day they moved to Kentucky, in the hope of improving their fortunes, coming all the way on horseback, carrying some of their children in open sacks, which were balanced by the use of flat-irons, and locating on Flat Run, near Paris, in Bourbon County. From here they subsequently removed to the North Fork of Licking River, Bracken County, Ky., and in 1815 to Rising Sun, Ind. Prior to his removal to Rising Sun, Thomas Howard had always pursued the vocation of a farmer, in which he had been quite successful; but forsaking this pursuit for that of merchandising, in which he failed, his entire possessions almost were swept away. He died in December, 1840, his widow passing away in June, 1843. They reared thirteen children, whose names are as follows: Betsey, Asbury, Levi, Samuel, Ann, Polly, Nancy, Hester, Matilda, Mahala, Thomas, John W. and Louisa. John W. Howard, whose name introduces this sketch, lived in and about the town of Rising Sun till he grew to maturity, receiving the rudiments of an education in the schools of that vicinity. His earlier years were passed in the varied occupations of school boy, attending store and farming, in each capacity giving evidence of superiority. August 11, 1833, he married Miss Aletha March, daughter of George and Catharine (Remer) March. She was born in Boone County, Ky., November 15, 1811. Their union has resulted in the birth of ten children, nine of whom are still living, namely: Thomas, Nancy J., Mary L., Elizabeth, Hester, James, Catharine, Aletha and Sarah. John W. died April 27, 1865, aged about eight years. After his marriage, Mr. Howard attended his father's farm and rented land two years. He earned the money with which he purchased his first horse by chopping cord wood at 31 cents per cord. In 1832 he cut cord wood in Mississippi at 50 cents per cord. About 1834 he went with a cargo of produce to New Orleans, and in 1835 he bought his first land, 100 acres more, at a cost of $900. In 1839 he bought 200 acres on which he has since resided, and here he will probably end his days. Mr. Howard did not cease his efforts with the possession of 400 acres, but with unabated energy and ambition pushed onward, mastering his financial situation at every point, and meeting all his obligations promptly and with ease. In this line of progress he continued till his failing strength warned him to desist from further effort, but not until his labor had been crowned by the enormous accumulation of 1,721 acres of land. Of this, 1,223 still remain in his possession, 498 acres having been divided among his children. Mr. Howard has never permitted his paper to go to protest. He has acquired his property chiefly by farming, having harvested as much as 4,000 bushels of wheat in a single year. In all his business transactions he has been quite successful, aided and encouraged by the untiring efforts of his faithful wife, who yet bears him company as they descend the downward slope of life, in whose setting sun their shadows lengthen toward the grave. All honor to their earnest efforts! May they live long to enjoy the fruits of their early toil and tears, which can only find the fullness of their reward in the grateful esteem of their children and those who in their turn shall follow them. Mr. Howard is an honored member of the Masonic fraternity, Royal Arch degree, an enthusiastic Republican in politics, and a Liberal in religion.