Julia (Morerod) LeClerc,
proprietor of the LeClerc House, Vevay, was born in Vevay, Ind., December 10, 1812. Her parents, John D. and Antoinette (Dufour) Morerod, were born near Vevay, Switzerland, her father in 1768, her mother in 1782. They came to America in 1800, locating at Vineyard, Jessamine Co., Ky, and were married in March, 1803, and moved in a short time to Vevay, Ind., where they followed farming and grape raising. Mrs. Morerod went to Cincinnati in a pirogue with straw hats of her own manufacture to raise money with which to lay in supplies of provisions. The old pioneer couple were kind to the sick and poor, and their house was a home for new settlers. Mr. and Mrs. Morerod were members of the Presbyterian Church, and received sermons regularly from Switzerland to read, to encourage them to be faithful in their religious belief. Father Morerod died in 1838, and the faithful wife followed him to the other shore in 1857. Julia Morerod was married October 11, 1832, to Robert LeClerc, a native of Michigan, born August 22, 1809. There were born to them nine children. Mr. LeClerc learned the confectionary business, and in 1833 took charge of the hotel, which he managed up to the date of his death, July 22, 1856. He was an Odd Fellow and encampment member. Since her husband's death Mrs. Le Clerc has successfully carried on the hotel business, and reared the family. She is truly an expert in the business, and watches the culinary department to the entire satisfaction of the most fastidious. Mrs. Le Clerc has been a faithful and consistent member of the Presbyterian Church since 1851, and has lived to see nearly all her children unite with the same society.