farmer of Craig
Township, is one of the well known and highly respected citizens of this county. He is the eldest
son and second child of Robert McKay, and was born in Shenandoah County, Va., March 28, 1810. He
was not yet two years old when his parents, in midwinter, penetrated into the unexplored
wilds of the Indiana Territory. Amid forest scenes his childhood was passed, and without the
privilege of a school or the aid of a teacher to instruct him in the rudiments of learning, unaided
he learned to read and write after attaining his majority (sic), and made himself competent to
intelligently transact ordinary business. He was married to Ann, daughter of John Shaw, in 1834.
For eight years succeeding this event, he lived upon the old homestead, after which located
on his present farm where he has since resided. He very creditably filled the office of
justice of the peace for five years, and served as trustee two terms, discharging the duties of each
to the satisfaction of all. He and his estimable wife have been members of the Christian Church
many years and are, and always have been, much interested in all Christian and charitable
works. Nine children have been born to them, five of whom are living, viz.: John, George, Isaac,
William and Anna; Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary J. and Archibald are deceased. Mrs. McKay was born
in Paisley, Scotland, in 1810.