Robert G. Simpson, M.D.,
born in Pleasant Township, May 10, 1845. He grew up on the farm, and from early
youth "paddled his own canoe." He was reared on the farm and there remained till the year
1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and entered the war,
serving eight months, being mustered out on account of being considered too young for the
service. He went to Illinois where he clerked in a store six months, and then enlisted in the
Sixty-second Regiment Veteran Volunteer Infantry, Company E, and served two years and four
months. He then spent about a year on the farm, and in 1867 entered the Wabash College, at
Crawfordsville, Ind. In 1872 he began the study of medicine with Dr. P.
Holland, and subsequently attended lectures at the Ohio Medical
College, Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in 1877. He began practice at Florence,
Ind., and after eighteen months removed to East Enterprise. He removed in
1883 to Bennington, where he is now engaged in his profession. Dr. Simpson was married,
September 1, 1870, to Mary E. Marsh, who was born in Bennington, June 13, 1852. Their children
are Eva, Perry, Hettie, Howard, Catharine, Carrie, Harvey and an infant. The Doctor is a member
of Bennington Lodge, F. & A.M., and Minor Padgett Post, G.A.R.