farmer, Posey Township, one of the representative pioneers of this
county, was born
in Butler County, Ohio, near Middletown, in 1806. He came here with his
parents in 1813. He
grew up on a farm and remained with his parents till eighteen and then
began working for himself,
but made his home with his father for some years. He "cropped" four
years with Joel Thurston,
being engaged afterward in a woodyard owned by William Chamberlain,
where he earned
the money to buy his farm of 117 acres, purchasing the land of David
Francis at $4 per acre.
In 1833 he married Esther Campbell, daughter of John Campbell, and in
the same year moved
on the farm which has been his home to the present day. He spent two
seasons with produce
on the river and had once gone down as a hand in the same business.
Since moving to his
farm, however, he has continued in its cultivation, meeting with fair
success. He added ninety acres to his original purchase, which he has
divided to his sons, and has retired from active labor. Mr. and Mrs. Wade have six
children: Mary, wife of Jabez Van Dorin, Kokomo, Ind.; George, resident of Mason, Ill.,
connected with salt works; Elijah, this township; Melvina, at home;
township; and Margaret, wife of Green L. Seaver, Tipton County, Ind.
Mr. Wade has always followed
the fortunes of the farm, and as a reward for their industry he and his
wife find themselves
well provided with a good home and plenty of the comforts of life.