BIOGRAPHY INDEX HOME PAGE MENU / SEARCH

John W. Wright,

retired farmer, resides at Vevay, and the closing scenes of a well-spent life are fast closing in upon him. Mr. Wright was born upon the eastern shores of Maryland, in Somerset County, February 12, 1809, and, as was customary in those days, received a common school education. His parents, Thomas and Nancy (Glasco) Wright, were born in Somerset County, Md.; father February 13, 1779; mother in 1782. They moved to this county in 1816, and raised a family of eight children: Alfred, John W., Thomas, Aljah, Jane, James, Solomon and Maselis. Father Wright was a farmer all his life. He was receiver and disburser of all moneys arising from the school section in Craig Township for school purposes. He was school trustee for about eight years, and was one of the first members of the Pendleton Run Baptist Association, organized about 1818. The first meeting was held in Mr. Wright's house, and thereafter once a month. In 1820 they built the Long Run Church which superseded the Pendleton Run Association. Mr. Wright's early experience in this county was very trying; the family went to bed hungry many times. They removed the overcoat from nettles to make thread, and substituted the kernels of hickory nuts and walnuts for grease in making soap, and made coffee out of parched white beans; also made bedsteads out of fence rails and rocked the children in sugar troughs. Mr. Wright was married June 9, 1832, to Miss Ellen Lowrey, who was born in Scott County, Ky., in 1807. Unto them were born three children: William P., Eliza and Ellen. Mrs. Wright died August 10, 1843, and on the 5th of September, 1844, he married Miss Rebecca D. Saunders, who was born in Louisville, Ky., October 20, 1818. In early life Mr. Wright farmed, and in September, 1827, engaged in flat-boating, at which he continued for twenty-one years, excepting the winter of 1832, that time being devoted to school teaching. In 1849 he was elected to the State Legislature. In 1856 he was re-elected to the same position, representing Switzerland and Ohio Counties both terms. Mr. Wright has been successful all through life in every investment, and every trip down the river. He took pride in farming, and was awarded the first premium (a $30 pitcher) Indiana gave for the best ten acres of corn, and continued in well doing for four years thereafter. In 1859 he took $50 premium for the best ten acres of wheat, and was awarded second premium ($25) at the United States Fair, at Louisville, in 1857, on peaches. He has been a stockholder in the Vevay National Bank since 1865, and a director since 1868. In December, 1881, Mr. Wright purchased the old Baptist Church building at the corner of Pike and Union Streets, remodeled and repaired the same, and in 1883 made a deed and donated it to the Christian Church. He also paid for brick and for building the church at Braytown, and has been liberal in church matters, as was his father before him. In Vevay, after donating the church, he paid the preacher $150 the first year, and $100 per year ever since. He has assisted nearly all the surrounding churches, including Rising Sun. In April, 1884, he and his estimable wife moved to Vevay to enjoy life and church privileges, and there they will doubtless end their days.