Switzerland County History

Author Unknown

Switzerland County is located in sourtheastern Indiana on the Ohio River. Switzerland County was first opened to settlement by terms of the Greenville Treaty of 1795. Heathcoat Pickett was in Jefferson Township as early as 1790 and built a cabin near the mouth of Plum Creek in 1795. Over his long life he made around 20 trips down the Ohio River on Flatboats taking local products to New Orleans, what was to be Switzerland County's route for an extensive river trade in the nineteenth century.

George Ash had been a captive of the Shawnee Indians until his release in 1795. Under the terms of the Greenville Treaty. The Indians granted Ash some land in Indiana opposite the mouth of the Kentucky River which was the southern end of the treaty line. On this land he built the first brick house in 1798 in Switzerland County. Ash later operated a ferry across the river from near his home. Ash and his family operated the ferry for 103 years.

The French-Swiss settlers came to Switzerland County in 1817. There was Frederick Louis Thiebaud and 7 children; Jean Jacque Philip Schneck with 2 children and Mr.Schenck's father and mother. Daniel Van Buren and 3 small children.

Frank Dupray invented a steering wheel and a hay press models of which along with his letters of patent are in the Museum in Vevay.

The first piano in Indiana belonged to Mary Wright from London, England. It was a Clementi piano.

Edward Eggleston was born in Switzerland County in 1837, he became an editor and author. His writings include The Hoosier Schoolmaster, The Hoosier Schoolboy, Roxy, The Circuit Rider, The Faith Doctor, and the End of the World along with several historys of the United States.