H ISTORY INDEX HOME PAGE MENU / SEARCH

The Settlement of Craig Township

From Harriman's History of Switzerland County

 

Up to 1812 the settlement of Craig Townshiip was quite sparse. Among the names from that locality in those early days, we find those of George and Sturman Craig, Joshua Cain (or Kane), Robert McKay, James McKay, Abisha McKay, George Ash, Henry Hannas, Nathaniel Gerard, Thomas Evans, Isaac Hockasmith, Jacob Kern, a Mr. Houze, Mr. Lanham and a few others now lost to record.

Henry Hannas was from Kentucky, and was a Baptist preacher, farming being his chief occupation. He located on a portion of the farm now owned by John Cotton, and resided there many years. He finally removed to Gibson County, where he died.

Nathaniel Garard was also an old Kentuckian, and a saddler by trade. He also did farming, as most of the early tradesman were compelled to do. He located on the old Madison and Cincinnati road, about six miles from Vevay, and resided in the township most of his life.

Daniel, or David, Bray was also among the first settlers of Craig Township. The first election of justices, after the organization of the county, was held at his house in 1817. The village of Braytown was named in his honor, though it never throve.

Robert McKay located in this township in 1812. He came here from Shenandoah County, Virginia, where he was born in 1782. His father was a native of Scotland. Mr. McKay reared quite a family. He was a member of the Home Guards, organized for the protection of the few settlers along the Ohio River from the Indians, and left a good estate at his death in 1832. His son Merritt was born in 1814, on the farm where he has resided up to the present time, a rather remarkable instance.

Reverend Samuel Bellamy was born in Virginia about the year 1784, and when 12 years old removed with his parents to near Nashville, Tennessee, where he grew to manhood. In 1815, he removed to this township with his wife Elizabeth Johnson, and six children, three of whom were by his first wife, deceased. In 1852, he removed to Iowa, where he died July 6th 1854. He entered the ministry in Tennessee, and while living there labored untiringly in the cause of Christ.