OBITUARY INDEX HOME PAGE MENU / SEARCH

Obituaries - A



Anderson, William

Vevay newspaper, 1903
Submitted by Melinda Anderson Comley

William Anderson, one of the best known men of the county, died at his home in Craig township Friday morning at 10 o'clock. The immediate cause of his death was an acute attack of dysentery though he had been in poor health for two years past from an affliction of the heart. During the past few months Mr. Anderson had the misfortune to lose his aged wife and earlier in the year their home was destroyed by fire.

With all the weight of his declining years, these new misfortunes came with heavy force, but Mr. Anderson withstood them with more fortitude than would have been exhibited by much younger men. He had an abiding faith in all things and never worried over the ills of life. His latest sickness extended over a period of probably ten days.

Wm. Anderson was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, on November the 14th., 1818, and was at the time of demise 85 years 9 months and 14 days of age. His father's name was also William Anderson and his mother's maiden name was Sarah Huser and they were both natives of the State of New York, coming to this county early in its history.

Mr. Anderson has spent all his life as a farmer Craig township, but has made himself known and respected by the people of the entire County. In politics he was a staunch Republican and served on the Board of County Commissioners of this County longer than any other man ever served, a period of 12 consecutive years. He was president of the Board during the troublous years from '60 to '65 and leaves as an enduring monument to his memory the Court House here which was built during these years.

Only a few days ago the writer had the pleasure of hearing from his lips the history and planning of that structure and to witness the very evident pleasure that he still felt in his part in his work. The building was contracted for before the outbreak of the Civil War and the consequent increase in the prices of labor and materials ensued (?) a loss to the contractors. They however were men of the strictest principle and went on with the work in the same way as if their contract was to be profitable. They did splendid work and when their work was completed the board by a unanimous vote gave them a bonus of some two or three thousand dollars. This brought the cost of the building to between $40,000? and $43,000?. During the erection of the building Mr. Anderson and the other Commissioners felt such an interest in the work that they gave almost undivided attention to it. They also provided for the planting of the magnificent shade trees that now stand in the yard and in every way aided in giving us one of the prettiest buildings and yards in the state of Indiana.

On October 20th, 1812, Mr. Anderson and Miss Mary Cotton were united in marriage and on October 20th last, aided by the couple who attended them at the wedding, Mr. James Shaw and Mrs. Abigail Lamson Tilley, they celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary. To their union were born several children who still survive them.

The remains were laid to rest in the cemetery connected with Spring Branch Church at ten o'clock Sunday morning after an appropriate ceremony. The body was followed to the grave by an immense concourse of people. William Anderson sleeps, but he has left to his family the blessed heritage of a good name and a life well spent and he has left to the people of a grateful community the example that comes from doing every duty as it arises in a clear sighted, honest and conscientious manner.