First post in Indiana area
built nearby in 1717 by French Canada to counter
British expansion in valleys of Wabash and Ohio rivers.
Served as trade and communication post.
French surrendered fort to British in 1761 during French and Indian War.
Fort was occupied by native Americans after 1763 and
destroyed by American soldiers 1791.
Indiana Historical Bureau and
The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Indiana
Marker placed on the
blockhouse noting the birthplace of
Rev. Anthony Foucher, the first American priest of the West
July 22, 1741 - June 12, 1812.
It was placed by the Catholic Women's Study Club, 1961.
Photo of the Fort Ouiatenon Blockhouse from WikiCommons and is in the public domain.
All other photos by Adina Dyer
Tippecanoe County INGenWeb Project
All rights reserved.