Established in 1808 by Tecumseh and the Prophet as the captial
their pan-Indian confederacy. Led by Tecumseh,
representatives of many
midwestern Indian nations met and lived here in an attempt to build the
greatest Indian resistance
movement in American history. A training
ground for over one thousand warrior, Prophet's Town extended for
along this bluff. The Battle of Tippecanoe on November 7, 1811,
this confederacy, and
Harrison's army burned the town the following day.
Located on State Road 225 east of
Battle Ground in Tippecanoe
Erected by the Battle Ground Historical Corp.
and the Tippecanoe County Historical Association 1977.
(see the Prophet's Rock
Historical Markers | Tippecanoe
County INGenWeb Project
Photo by Adina Dyer ©1998
©1998-2001 Adina Dyer
All rights reserved