- Harrison Hill Church and Cemetery -
West Harrison, Indiana
North Dearborn Road
The plaque reads: "In Memory of the Hill Church.
1840 Organized by German settlers.
1860 German Evangelical Prostestant Church built.
1921 merged with St. John United Church of Christ.
Dedicated to our forefathers and pioneer settlers.
St. John United Church of Christ.
All this is made possible, Courtesy Dennis Bourquein
There are a number of persons who are reported to have been buried in the Hill Church Cemetery but do not have stones, marking their place of burial.
Information about this comes from Diane Weber, Historian for
the St. John United Church of Christ in Harrison;
Lois Harper, Dearborn
County historian; and family members.
List of interments in Harrison Hill Cemetery
On the Southeast end of the Harrison Hill Cemetery, a small separate cemetery exists.
It was once fenced separately from the Harrison Hill Cemetery with wrought iron fence.
The northeast corner of this cemetery was adjacent to the Harrison Hill Cemetery.
This small cemetery used to be called the Haas Cemetery. It is now just part
of the Harrison Hill Cemetery. There are eight grave stones in this lot. List of interments in Haas Cemetery.
German emmigration to Deaborn County was very high, in fact had the highest population in the state of Indiana. In Dearborn County they settled along North Dearborn Road, beginning at the Ohio-Indiana border and continuing west through New Alsace into Ripley County at Sunman, into Morris, Batesville, Oldenburg, and Huntersville.
© 2016 Dennis Bourquein