Orange County Genealogical Society
Orange County Genealogical Society / P.O. Box 344 / Paoli, IN 47454
General Information and Membership
The Orange County Genealogical Society (OCGS) is a non-profit organization of people interested in researching their family history as it relates to Orange County, Indiana. Membership dues for one year are $10.00, and new memberships begin with January. Members receive the Society's publication Orange Peelings, a quarterly journal. Send requests for membership to the above address.
Publications for Sale
- The Orange County Genealogical Society publishes Orange Peelings, a quarterly journal which is received with membership. Queries and articles of interest are accepted for publication. Back issues may be purchased for $2.50 each.
- 1850 Federal Census of Orange County, IN with additions on some entrants; $30.00 plus $4.00 P&H.
- 1860 Federal Census of Orange County, IN; indexed; $35.00 plus $4.00 P&H.
- 1870 Federal Census of Orange County, IN; indexed; $35.00 plus $4.00 P&H.
- 1880 Federal Census of Orange County, IN; indexed; $35.00 plus $4.00 P&H.
- 1910 Federal Census of Orange County, IN; indexed; $37.50 plus $4.00 P&H.
- H.M. Barbee Daybook--This is a record from a store located north of Prospect, IN in 1845. It contains over 200 names, listing the purchaser, items they bought/sold, and the price; $10.00 plus $2.00 P&H.
- History of the Thirty-Eighth Regiment, Indiana Volunteers, 1861-1865; reprinted in 1992 with full index; $35.00 plus $4.00 P&H.
Make checks payable to Orange County Genealogical Society. Send along with order to P.O. Box 344, Paoli, IN 47454.
Meetings of the OCGS
The OCGS meets regularly on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Dates and meeting places are published in the journal, and will also be posted on this page. Please verify that these are correct before attending at (812) 723-3437!
- July 13, 1999; 7:0030 p.m. Wilma and Everett Davis home
- August 10,1999; 7:00 p.m. Wilma and Everett Davis home
- September 14, 1999; 7:00 p.m. Wilma and Everett Davis home
- October 12, 1999; 7:00 p.m. Wilma and Everett Davis home
- November 9, 1999; 7:00 p.m. Wilma and Everett Davis home
Please plan on attending a meeting if your in the area on any of the above dates.
Orange County Genealogical Library
The society's library is currently located in a private residence and hours are regulated by appointment. Call (812) 723-3437 to set up a time to visit. You need not be a member to use the library, and there is easy access from the sidewalk.
The OCGS Library is quite well-stocked with all types of research aids. You will find vertical files of family information, published and unpublished family histories, many DAR indices to Orange County records, county and state censuses, an obituary file, many past issues of journals from several societies, and so much more. We aren't just limited to Orange County. There are resources for surrounding counties, the state of Indiana, and many other states as well.