William J. Keeney,
farmer, York Township, born in Delaware County, N.Y., 1816, son of John Keeney, came to this county with his parents in 1835. He remained with his parents till 1840, when he began farming for himself, making his annual trip to New Orleans and doing coast trading. This he continued for sixteen years annually, but has since confined his work to the farm. He has kept good grades of stock and taken considerable interest in stock raising and agricultural affairs. He was one of the charter members of the Switzerland and Ohio County Agricultural Society, which was organized in 1851, and has since officiated as director, vice-president and president. Is one of the thrifty farmers of the county, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Keeney was married in 1843 to Mary R. Truesdell, daughter of James Truesdell, and born on Bryant's Creek by the Ohio, in this county, 1815. Her parents were James and Nancy (Jones) Truesdell, the former of New York, the latter of Lexington, Ky. They married in this county, the Joneses coming to this township about 1800, Truesdells later. Her grandfather, Louis Jones, started for Kentucky in an earlier day with their parents. The father died on the way. The widow and children came on to Kentucky, where the brother of Lewis was killed by Indians near Lexington, on which land the town is situated. Louis subsequently became home-sick in Kentucky and returned to Virginia, and when a young man came West again and located in this county on Bryant's Creek near 1800, as stated above. Mr. and Mrs. Keeney have reared six children to maturity: Mary S., wife of Levi Sedam; Benjamin F., married Jennie M. Langwell; Martin G., married Louise Banta; James (died 1861); Emily; Eustatia, wife of Harry Torrence; Arletta, still at home. The old double chair in which the Truesdells rode from New York to this county, is still in possession of Mrs. William Keeney, and is more than one hundred years old. Mr. Keeney has patented a number of important inventions, chief among which was the universal pitman now in use by the champion mowers and reapers.